Established in 2000, 2Checkout (now Verifone) has grown into one of the world’s leading global payment processing service providers, boasting millions of customers across the globe. This review delves into the depths of 2Checkout, assessing its offerings, pros and cons, and pricing structure to help determine whether it is the right choice for your business’s payment processing needs.
Overview of 2Checkout – what’s on offer?
2Checkout primarily focuses on simplifying the back-end processes of businesses by providing comprehensive payment processing solutions. This platform is renowned for facilitating seamless, secure online, mobile, and offline payment transactions. It supports multiple payment methods, including major credit cards and debit cards, PayPal, and over 45 different global currencies, catering to a vast international clientele.
A standout feature is its integration capability, connecting with hundreds of global marketplaces and cart solutions such as Shopify, Magento, and WooCommerce. Additionally, 2Checkout provides advanced fraud protection and customisable checkout options, enabling businesses to provide a user-friendly and secure purchasing experience.
- Great for entrepreneurs
- Powerful data analytics
- Manage sales and data
- Cutting-edge marketing
- Ideal for teams or solo use
- Measure sales conversions
- Great for startups
- Powerful web page builder
- E-commerce available
- Great for marketing
- Better than lists or sheets
- Manage social media
- Launch your website fast
- Powerful data intuitive
- No coding skills needed
2Checkout also features a robust suite of subscription management tools. These include recurring billing, customer retention tools, and revenue recovery features. The platform’s reporting and analytics tools help businesses track their performance, optimise operations, and make informed decisions.
Pros and cons of 2Checkout
- Global payments: 2Checkout accepts payments from across the globe in over 45 different currencies. This global reach can help businesses tap into international markets.
- Seamless integrations: The platform offers integration with over 120 global marketplaces and cart solutions, making it adaptable to most business models.
- Advanced fraud protection: 2Checkout offers an advanced fraud detection system that helps protect businesses and their customers from fraudulent activities.
- Robust subscription management tools: With features like recurring billing and revenue recovery, 2Checkout helps businesses manage subscriptions effectively.
- Comprehensive reporting and analytics: 2Checkout provides detailed insights and reports, enabling businesses to track performance and make data-driven decisions.
- Customer support: They offer 24/7 customer support through email, live chat, and phone.
- High transaction fees: Compared to some competitors, 2Checkout charges higher transaction fees, which might be a drawback for smaller businesses.
- Delayed payouts: Payouts can sometimes take up to two weeks, which may impact cash flow for certain businesses.
- Strict security measures: While security is paramount, some businesses have reported accounts being suspended due to strict security measures.
- Complex pricing structure: The pricing structure can be confusing for some, with different charges for different features and payment types.
- Limited customisation: The checkout forms offer limited customisation options compared to some competitors.
2Checkout products and services guide
2Checkout offers four main services, namely 2Sell, 2Subscribe, 2Monetize, and Avangate Monetization Platform.
This is ideal for businesses looking to sell internationally. It supports multiple payment methods and currencies, offering localized checkout experiences. It also provides fraud management and compliance features.
In addition to the features offered in 2Sell, this service includes subscription billing tools. It enables businesses to manage the entire subscription lifecycle, including trials, renewals, and churn.
This is an all-in-one monetization solution designed to manage digital commerce and subscription billing. It also helps manage global tax and regulatory compliance.
Avangate Monetization Platform
This is a comprehensive platform that combines all the services in one package, with added features like affiliate marketing management and customer insights.
2Checkout pricing, fees and charges explained
2Checkout uses a transaction fee model. There are no setup or monthly fees, making it appealing for businesses starting out or those with inconsistent sales volumes. Its transaction fees depend on the plan you choose:
- 2Sell: Transaction fee of 3.5% plus £0.25 per transaction.
- 2Subscribe: Transaction fee of 4.5% plus £0.35 per transaction.
- 2Monetize: Transaction fee of 6% plus £0.45 per transaction.
There can be additional charges, such as a 2% fee for currency conversion and potential fees for chargebacks. It is worth noting that payouts are not instant and can take up to two weeks, depending on the country and payout method.
Alternatives to 2Checkout
While 2Checkout has much to offer, there are alternative payment processors available:
- PayPal: Known for its simplicity and extensive global reach, PayPal is a solid choice. However, it also has relatively high transaction fees.
- Stripe: This is renowned for its powerful API and broad range of features, although its complex setup may not suit all businesses.
- Square: An excellent option for small businesses, offering free point-of-sale (POS) software and affordable hardware. However, it lacks 2Checkout’s extensive global payment support.
- Worldpay: As one of the largest payment processors, Worldpay offers a full suite of solutions, including POS systems, mobile payments, and online payments. Its main drawback is a complex fee structure.
Conclusion – Is 2Checkout a good choice?
So what is the verdict of our 2Checkout review?
Whether 2Checkout is the right choice for your business hinges on various factors. Its comprehensive features, global reach, integration options, and robust security make it a compelling choice for businesses seeking to expand internationally or manage subscriptions.
However, smaller businesses or those with tight margins may find its relatively high transaction fees and delayed payouts less attractive.
Before deciding, it’s crucial to compare various payment processors to understand which offers the best balance of cost, functionality, and service for your specific business needs.
FAQ – 2Checkout review
Yes, 2Checkout supports mobile payments and offers a mobile responsive checkout.
2Checkout supports over 45 different global currencies.
No, 2Checkout does not charge any setup or monthly fees.
Payouts from 2Checkout can take up to two weeks, depending on the country and payout method.
Yes, 2Checkout is designed to support international business with multiple currency and payment method support.
Yes, 2Checkout can integrate with over 120 global marketplaces and cart solutions.
2Checkout has advanced fraud detection systems and adheres to international compliance standards to ensure security.
2Checkout offers 24/7 customer support through email, live chat, and phone.
The transaction fees vary depending on the plan but start from 3.5% plus £0.25 per transaction for 2Sell.
Yes, 2Checkout offers robust subscription management tools, including recurring billing and customer retention features.
2Checkout can be suitable for small businesses, particularly those looking to expand globally. However, its higher transaction fees compared to some competitors may be a drawback.
Yes, but the customisation options are relatively limited compared to some competitors.
Alternatives to 2Checkout include PayPal, Stripe, Square, and Worldpay.
Yes, 2Checkout provides comprehensive reporting and analytics tools.
Yes, there is a 2% fee for currency conversions.
2Checkout helps manage global tax and regulatory compliance as part of its 2Monetize and Avangate Monetization Platform services.
2Checkout accepts major credit and debit cards, PayPal, and bank transfers.
Additional charges may include currency conversion fees and potential fees for chargebacks.
Yes, the Avangate Monetization Platform includes an affiliate marketing management feature.
Yes, 2Checkout supports offline payment transactions.