In the world of business transactions, payment processing solutions play a pivotal role. One of the names that often surfaces in this field is Handepay. This UK-based company claims to offer affordable and reliable payment services. In this review, we will delve deep into the offerings, advantages and disadvantages, pricing, and potential alternatives to Handepay to help determine whether it is a good choice for your business.
Overview of Handepay – what’s on offer?
Founded in 2006, Handepay is a Merchant Services Provider offering a range of payment processing solutions to businesses of various sizes across the UK. They serve more than 28,000 customers, taking pride in their cost-effective solutions and transparent pricing.
Handepay offers an assortment of payment services, including in-store card machines, portable and mobile card readers, and online payment gateways. This allows businesses to accept payments in-person, online, and even on-the-go. Handepay also provides integrated payment services, compatible with various Point of Sale (POS) systems, thus promoting seamless transactions.
- Great for entrepreneurs
- Powerful data analytics
- Manage sales and data
- Cutting-edge marketing
- Ideal for teams or solo use
- Measure sales conversions
- Great for startups
- Powerful web page builder
- E-commerce available
- Great for marketing
- Better than lists or sheets
- Manage social media
- Launch your website fast
- Powerful data intuitive
- No coding skills needed
Another important feature of Handepay is their pledge to make card payments affordable. They offer a price challenge wherein if they cannot save a prospective customer money, they’ll provide £1,000.
Pros and cons of Handepay
- Versatile Payment Solutions: Handepay caters to various business requirements, offering in-store, online, and mobile payment services.
- Transparent Pricing: There are no hidden fees or binding contracts. Businesses can see exactly what they’re paying for.
- UK-Based Support: Handepay provides dedicated, UK-based customer service, ensuring quick resolution of issues and queries.
- Price Challenge: Their price challenge initiative is a testament to their commitment to providing cost-effective services.
- No Authorisation Fees: Unlike many other payment processors, Handepay doesn’t charge for transaction authorisation.
- Limited Global Reach: Handepay predominantly serves businesses within the UK. For businesses with a wider global audience, Handepay might not be the best choice.
- Minimum Monthly Service Charge: Businesses are subject to a minimum monthly service charge, which could be a drawback for smaller businesses.
- Potential Early Termination Fee: Some customers have reported high termination fees when trying to exit their contract early.
Handepay products and services guide
Handepay’s offering can be broadly divided into three categories – card machines, online payments, and phone payments.
Handepay provides a variety of card machines – countertop for fixed checkout locations, portable for tableside payments, and mobile for payments on-the-go. The machines accept all major credit and debit cards, including contactless, Apple Pay and Android Pay.
Handepay’s online payment gateway facilitates payments via a company’s website, compatible with most shopping carts. They also offer a Pay by Link service, which allows businesses to send customers a payment link via email.
For businesses that take payments over the phone, Handepay provides a Virtual Terminal. This secure web-based system allows businesses to process card payments from any internet-enabled device.
Handepay pricing, fees and charges explained
Handepay operates on a quote-based pricing model. It doesn’t list standard pricing, arguing that they tailor the rates based on each business’s unique needs. However, they promise no hidden fees, and their pricing model includes terminal rental, transaction processing, PCI DSS compliance, and a minimum monthly service charge.
The minimum monthly service charge is a significant aspect of Handepay’s pricing. If a merchant’s transaction fees don’t meet a certain threshold, they’ll need to pay the difference as a minimum monthly service charge.
Handepay also levies a PCI non-compliance fee for businesses not adhering to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). Businesses are encouraged to maintain compliance to avoid this fee.
Termination fees may apply for businesses wishing to leave their contract early, and the amount would depend on the specific terms of the contract.
Alternatives to Handepay
While Handepay offers competitive services, there are several other providers in the market that businesses can consider.
- Square: An excellent option for small businesses, Square offers transparent, fixed pricing and a broad array of features including point-of-sale software and online selling tools.
- Worldpay: One of the biggest payment processing companies globally, Worldpay offers a comprehensive range of services for businesses of all sizes, including in-person, online, and mobile payment solutions.
- SumUp: SumUp provides a simple and easy-to-use payment processing solution, ideal for small and mobile businesses. They offer one of the lowest transaction fees in the industry.
Conclusion – Is Handepay a good choice?
Handepay provides a comprehensive suite of payment processing solutions, with a clear focus on cost-effectiveness and transparent pricing. The company’s commitment to making card payments affordable for businesses of all sizes is commendable.
However, businesses should be mindful of the minimum monthly service charge and potential termination fees. Also, for those requiring a broader global reach, other providers might be a better fit.
In conclusion, Handepay could be a good choice for businesses seeking a versatile and affordable UK-based payment processing solution, provided they are aware of and comfortable with the pricing structure and contract terms.
Handepay offers a range of payment processing solutions, including card machines, online payments, and phone payments.
Handepay is a UK-based company.
Yes, Handepay provides mobile card readers for businesses on-the-go.
Yes, Handepay offers cost-effective solutions suitable for businesses of all sizes.
Handepay offers a price challenge where they promise to save you money compared to your current provider or they’ll give you £1,000.
Yes, if a merchant’s transaction fees don’t meet a certain threshold, they are subject to a minimum monthly service charge.
Square, Worldpay, and SumUp are some of the alternatives to Handepay.
Handepay offers a quote-based pricing model tailored to each business’s unique needs.
No, Handepay doesn’t charge for transaction authorisation.
Handepay predominantly serves businesses within the UK.
Yes, Handepay’s card machines can accept all major credit and debit cards, including contactless, Apple Pay and Android Pay.
Handepay’s online payment gateway is compatible with most shopping carts.
Handepay’s Virtual Terminal is a secure web-based system that allows businesses to process card payments from any internet-enabled device.
Yes, some customers have reported high termination fees when trying to exit their contract early.
Yes, Handepay is PCI DSS compliant.
Yes, Handepay levies a PCI non-compliance fee for businesses not adhering to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
The Pay by Link service allows businesses to send customers a payment link via email.
Yes, Handepay provides dedicated, UK-based customer service.
Handepay claims to provide cost-effective payment processing solutions and offers a price challenge to prove their cost-saving capabilities.
Handepay can be a good choice if you’re seeking a versatile and affordable UK-based payment processing solution. However, businesses should be mindful of the minimum monthly service charge and potential termination fees.